This skill Reference Data wish to contribute to the development of the tutors’ training able to include intercomprehension (IC) at their teaching activities in class or at distance. This document represents a tool to conceive and to put into practice training processes to IC and an evaluation system (including auto-evaluation) with professional skills (knowledge, attitudes and abilities) necessary to the introduction of the IC in the areas of contact of languages and intercultural communication (communicative situations in class or online).
The IC is a possibility of training to help teachers to promote a linguistic and democratic teaching and to open communicative areas between the subjects who belong to different cultural and linguistic communities, considering thus new methods to be and to have social skills for a tutor in/of languages.
This general purpose in terms of social skills is realized in this Skill Reference Data by descriptors of knowledge skills as well as the know-how that allow the tutor to be engaged into the development and the application of skilled projects. This choice corresponds to the willpower to take into account the ethical and political dimensions in a pragmatic viewpoint of educational intervention.
Linked to the teaching Skill Reference Data, This training Skill Reference Data intends to answer to social needs in terms of trainings to plurilingual and intercultural teaching. It is about making available skills descriptors to conceive trainings based on IC, in order to help teachers /tutors to spread the IC as an educational and communicative practice. Thus, this Skill Reference Data follows the same principles than the teaching Skill Reference Data:
- Transparency of the inflected issues;
- Clarity of the aims, the contents and the methodology of the IC;
- A participation of the educative actors at the construction of the training process based on the IC.
The document is outlined on three constituent dimensions of the tutor’s professional skill whose aim is educate to plurilingualism with a reflexive approach:
- Ethical and political
- Linguistic and communicative
- Educational and didactic
Each dimension presents first its general aims and then its skills descriptors illustrated in explanatory notes.
This Skill Reference Data offers training tools as part of a teaching approach that considers the following processes as fundamentals:
- The acquisition of new knowledge, by activities of research of information as well as the re-elaboration and co-construction of knowledge;
- The testing on the field, including the planning phases, the implementation and evaluation phases so as to take part in teaching situations that we want to extend;
- The commitment, the opening and the responsibility in the promotion of plurilingualism by the participation in different areas and formats of communication.
The permanent thought on the activated processes, the plans ongoing and the results obtained by the subjects is an essential aspect in the training of tutors: it allows doing assessments of process and to think about the possibilities for a lifelong education and training.
Authors: Ana Isabel Andrade, Filomena Martins and Ana Sofia Pinho (University of Aveiro)
Revision of ICT: Maria José Loureiro
In collaboration with Maddalena De Carlo and Mathilde Anquetil